Veterans and service members are at 50% higher risk of suicide than their peers who haven’t served. Since 2001, 114,000+ veterans have died by suicide. Without change, by 2030, 60,000 more lives will be lost. The problem is clear: The systems in place aren’t working. Getting help isn’t easy and trying to navigate a complicated maze of organizations and resources can be overwhelming when you’re in crisis.
Stop Soldier Suicide is the first national, veteran-founded-and-led nonprofit focused on military suicide prevention. What started as a grassroots effort in 2011 has grown into a thriving organization that’s driving change, building community and, most importantly, helping those who’ve served and sacrificed for our country. Our vision is to reduce veteran suicide to civilian parity by 2030, saving 2,400 lives per year.
The Development Operations Coordinator serves as a critical support role to the success of revenue growth for Stop Soldier Suicide. Reporting to the Director of Donor Engagement, the Coordinator works closely with development staff, donors, and volunteers to ensure accurate and timely gift recording and acknowledgments. This position will focus on supporting the growth and maintenance of the organization’s fundraising programs. As a digital-first organization, the right candidate for this role will be highly agile at using technology to work effectively and efficiently. Specific such as google suite, Salesforce, and other digital platforms.
The Development Operations Coordinator is entrepreneurial, collaborative, has strong organizational skills, excellent attention to detail, and manages to deadlines. They “manage up” on progress of assignments and take direction well. Ability to multi-task and work independently are essential.
- Manage all donation processing, receipting, acknowledging, and pledge management activity:
- Receive, record, process and reconcile all gifts
- Record gift details into Salesforce database within 48 hours of receipt
- Generate gift batch reports and weekly internal gift reporting
- Prepare acknowledgement, pledges and invoice letters for review and send
- Documents all appeal letter mailings in database and appends electronic attachment of each proposal to donor/prospect record
- Verifies solicitation contacts’ names, titles, addresses, and phone numbers and updates information in Salesforce
- Manage and execute monthly financial reconciliation, data integrity of donation information, and data input, while adhering to departmental policies and procedures
- Adhere to IRS and accounting regulations and best practices in gift record retention
- Serve as the technical expert in Salesforce including:
- Ensure staff are entering data into the database as appropriate; develop mechanisms to measure entries
- Maintain Salesforce using best practices and lead data entry, contact record hygiene, dashboard, and report creation
- Coordinate all list management, including updating information in Salesforce, and producing list reports
- Generate routine reports and mailing lists as needed
Support the Development Team
- Provide project management support and scheduling for all grant proposals and report deadlines
- Develop reports on major gift, foundation, and corporation activity
- Update Salesforce with final proposal and report documents
- Tracks donor/prospect meetings in the database and updates records, along with other relevant correspondence or actions.
- Maintains and reviews donor files in Salesforce database regularly; records and checks recent correspondence or meetings to assess constituents’ interests and nature of relationship with the Stop Soldier Suicide; tracks and records fundraiser activity and metrics
- Perform research of major donors, foundations, and corporate prospects using appropriate research tools
- Assist in maintaining project management systems, managing up around deliverables and deadlines
- Manage select partner and vendor relationships as well as third-party donation platforms, (Ex: GoodUnited, Benevity, AmazonSmile, etc.)
- Support donor engagement, outreach, and other key functions in collaboration with the Director of Donor Engagement
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree + 1-3 years relevant experience in development, nonprofit management or project management.
- Keen attention to detail, follow-through, and initiative-taking with drive to deliver on individual and team goals
- Demonstrated commitment to achieving ambitious performance outcomes and resiliency against setbacks and unexpected obstacles
- Proficiency in Salesforce, Hubspot, Blackbaud, or similar CRM/fundraising software
- Ability to work with multiple stakeholders and partners with a “get it done” mentality
- Motivated to work for a mission-driven organization that values initiative, teamwork, and drive to continuously perform and improve on behalf of our service members and veterans
- Commitment to SSS’s mission, vision, and demonstration of core values in daily work
Objective and Key Results (OKRs)
The position is responsible for meeting the following Key Results:
- Within the first 30 days, create a donor acknowledgement process with 100% accuracy and 48 hour turn over time.
- Within the first 60 days, become the super user for our CRM database, Salesforce.
- Within the first 90 days, benchmark our current state of grants and create a process for reporting.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The majority of the work required is performed in an office environment. The team member must be able to effectively maneuver within the office area and perform essential functions necessary to perform the job duties and meet the OKRs described above.
Stop Soldier Suicide is committed to nondiscriminatory employment practices that are fully compliant with all federal, state and local laws and regulations, including making reasonable accommodations for its disabled employees as set forth in the Americans with Disabilities Act.